Mathematical Modeller / Senior Modeller – Stoke on Trent
We are looking for a passionate Mathematical Modeller / Senior Modeller to join our Modelling team based in Stoke-on-Trent.
A little about us
VesselsValue is a dynamic and innovative tech company operating in the Shipping, Offshore and Superyacht sectors. We have over 2,000 users worldwide, including leading banks, funds, shipowners and more. We employ over 160 people across our 7 offices in London, Singapore, Seoul, Xi’an, Manila, Isle of Wight and Stoke and are rapidly expanding.
As a creative, forward thinking and hardworking company, the successful candidate should share these values. In return, you will get to work in a supportive, trusting and transparent environment, with a young but growing global company.
We are looking for a hardworking, self-motivated, experienced and confident team member with a strong academic background and advanced quantitative skills to join our expanding Modelling team. The ideal candidate will be able to solve problems creatively, work with high attention to detail, supervise less experienced staff and communicate effectively with both mathematicians and members of other departments.
The role will focus on optimising and extending our existing mathematical models. Typically, you will prototype models in spreadsheet form, working with market and data analysts to ensure commercial realism and tested accuracy. You will document and handover model specifications to our technical developers, and you will play an active role in the implementation of these models into our codebase. Modelling will involve determining relationships between input and output variables, which describe data efficiently and are consistent with economic principles. Curve fitting, using regression analysis and other optimisation techniques, and application of heuristics and constraints to model less quantitative phenomena will be used. This role requires you to be creative, open-minded and flexible in your approach to ensure model outputs reflect reality. Such outputs will include daily and intra-day changes in asset values, asset earnings, supply and demand of commodities, and trade flows. Initially, coverage will be of maritime and aviation assets, but this space will grow as the business develops.
Modeller/ Senior Modeller
- Develop, prototype and document automated mathematical models for application in shipping, aviation, and other fields
- Conduct statistical analysis on data
- Assist with the design and creation of VesselsValue products and systems
- Interpret and explain key mathematical concepts and VesselsValue methodology
- Collaborate with members of other teams including subject experts, software developers, analysts and data researchers
- Apply advanced mathematical techniques
- Manage projects and/or staff
- Communicate VesselsValue methodology externally
Qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required:
- Bachelor’s degree (1 or 2.1) in mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science or other highly quantitative discipline
- Creative imagination and very good problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate complex concepts to people without a specialist mathematical background
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and familiarity with Excel VBA
- Experience of statistical techniques such as regression analysis
- Postgraduate degree (ideally PhD) in highly quantitative discipline
- Professional experience in appropriate field
- Practical experience of a programming language
- Ability to manage projects
- Ability to supervise staff
- Knowledge of shipping, aviation or other relevant area.
- Willingness to travel
- 24 days holiday (increases with service) + public holidays
- Pension scheme
- Company Benefits including Group Life Assurance and Healthcare Scheme (subject to terms)
- Recreation/Games room (depending on location)
- Fun working environment with regular social events and end of year party
- Continued professional development
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: Depending on experience
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com